Friday, June 08, 2007

directed by Mikael Håfström!!!

I was just watching TV and an ad came on for the new film 1408 starring Sam Jackson and John Cusack. At the end, you hear the disembodied trailer voice say: "directed by Mikael Håfström". Can ANYONE tell me why they make a point to tell you that this fellow directed the film? Has ANYONE ever heard of Mikael Håfström??

I can understand "directed by Martin Scorsese" at the end of an ad for The Departed. That could certainly persuade a person to see the film, but Mikael Håfström? My only conclusion is that the studio's trying to build name recognition for the guy because they believe he has potential to be the next Scorsese. I think it's a fairly new phenomenon. I've noticed it over the last five years or so, I guess. Does anyone else have a theory about why this is done?

0 comments: