Sunday, April 15, 2007

The boy listens

Matthew's now fourteen months old and he reached what, for me, was a huge milestone on his fourteen month birthday. He was holding his toy fish. It's mouth opens wide to swallow another fish. I suggested to him that the fish should eat the small soccer ball he got recently. I said 'get the ball. put it in the fish'. He listened, turned, grabbed the ball, opened the fish's mouth, put the ball in, and closed the fish's mouth. Such a dream come true. You tell the boy something specific and he understands enough of the words and what you're asking and does it. Later I told him 'put the book back in the box' and he did that too. You have no idea how thrilled I am. 14 months of feeling like I'm talking to myself are finally over.

2 comments:

laura said...

that would have to be a pretty neat development. matthew is still adorable, of course.

do you have mp3's of those songs you and cannon did when we were in college? julie and i used to listen to the tape when we were falling asleep. it would be really cool to hear that stuff again.
-laura

Stownley said...

i think i do have some of those. i'm not sure if they're the ones you're thinking of, but i can send you some stuff, definitely.